Wednesday, February 22, 2006

KANGEN!!!!!

GOSH!!! Yet again, my pendrive was infected by the stupid Kangen virus lingering around in IMU computers... I seriously don't understand how long the IT department needs to fix the problem... The virus was already discovered last year, and thanks to it, many of my frenz' lost their Foundation Pharmacy Project a few days before the deadline. Those who didn't have a back-up copy had to rush like hell to get their work done. The Kangen virus basically appears as a Word file and it is capable of attacking all the other Microsoft Word files. If u were to try to open the Kangen file, a red-coloured rose and a stupid Malay poem that sounds something like "Cintaku pada mu tidak akan berubah..." would appear. Only few of the latest anti-virus system could detect this virus and delete or remove it.

We were so shocked and panic when we found out about the virus. Since most of us didnt have our own pc nor anti-virus software, we decided to send our pendrive to the so-called Helpdesk. Know what they did? While we were waiting for them to remove the virus from our pendrive, they were so "efficient" that they got it done in minutes, by deleting all the Word files in our pendrive. Yup, Kangen virus was removed, but so were our projects. So, can anybody answer me, WHAT'S THE POINT??!!! What's the difference from leaving the Kangen virus there and destroying our Word files? Even I myself don't need a minute to delete the files. Just press and hold "Ctrl" on the keyboard, and then click on all the the files to be deleted, and press "Delete". *TA DANG*!!!~~~~~ there goes all of them... Do we even need an IT Department to do so???

Then, after closing down the whole computer lab for a few days, they finally claimed that they had "successfully" removed the virus. However, I still heard people complaining about getting infected by this virus from time to time. It was finally my turn yesterday. I plugged my pendrive in to check on something for my senior, and "BOOM!", a Word file titled Kangen suddenly appeared in my pendrive. I tried to use the anti-virus system to remove it but it was up to no good. The Kangen file just kept popping out. So, I decided to shift to another computer, hoping that the anti-virus system would work. But before I could do anything, the Sophos Anti-virus system detected the virus and deleted all the Word files in my pendrive, without even asking for my permission!!! All my projects just disappeared right in front of my eyes, yet I couldnt do anything to save them... I was so frustrated, especially after so many tiring days of organising the junior's orientation events. I informed the IT Department immediately and they just replied me, "Yeah, alright. We'll check on it LATER". WAH!!!~~~ So "efficient" of them... Hmph!

The incidence totally spoilt my mood. Luckily I have got a bunch of caring frenz. They gave me consolation and offered to help me with the project. I shared a cone of ice-cream with Bao Bao in order to cheer myself up while not gaining too much weight at the same time. Haha... thanks to all my caring frenz, I forgot about the incidence and managed to Hong Cai again soon. Hehehe...

"IT Department, 我们不是还钱给你们来跷脚的, ok?"

1 comment:

Rajinder said...

The minute the files were infected with Kangen, they ceased to be Word files. The virus deleted your files and replaced them with itself, so all Sophos saw was just the virus. As for the virus still being around, well, apparently some other students had their thumbdrive infected, but didn't know it and went round from comp to comp reinfecting them again. And no, I don't work for the IT staff. Heck, if you know me, you'd know my "opinion" about them. :)